Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where I'm From

I am from the winding road of Duck Creek and the sweet smell of fields full of wild flowers in the wind

I am from endless summer days at Tygart Lake, from a Crownline boat and long ski pulls up and down the smooth water

I am from the creek banks filled with crawdads, the driveway lined with Queen Anne's lace and the harmonic sound of birds as the sun rises

I am from Sunday dinners and story telling from my Papa and those ornery boys

I am from the calloused hands of my dad and the old fashioned home cooking of my mother

From " I can do all things through Christ" and " Love like there's no tomorrow"

I am from the little white church on Main Street; the blood of Jesus Christ who set us free

I'm from the Blackfoot Indian tribe, the Irish, the Dutch, and German roots that my Nanny has traced ever so meticulously

From the giggling of two sisters and our mother because we're tired, and a brother and dad who sat back and called us crazy

I'm from WVU football games, nature lovers and animal cuddlers

From rolling farmland where the grass meets the horizon

I am from a place called West Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment